As publishers of non fiction books, we spend so much of our resources of both time and money to make sure we get the word out in our effort to reach best selling status. But how many of us make sure our books get the ongoing media attention that they deserve? Your book is meant to be your prosperity platform and as such, it is imperative that steps are taken to make sure that it does just that.
Considering the time and effort that goes into writing a quality book, with the goal of leveraging your expertise on the subject matter to build your prosperity platform, is would be a sin to leave these steps out.
No gathering cobwebs in cyberspace! As a matter of fact, one of the best steps you can take for yourself is to develop a 12 month plan that will keep you on track to keeping your book front and center and producing the results you worked to hard to obtain.
Our goal is to provide you with not only the tools but the strategies that will let you accomplish this.
This blog is written both for those who are self publishers (#indie writers/###authors) and for those who assist their clients in this process.
The dark side of publishing is that non fiction books on average only sell 300 copies over the lifetime of a book. We personally know of many books selling far less. Of all of the non fiction books written, only 1% find their way onto bookstore shelves! Added to this, the marketplace itself is overflowing with competition. It is estimated that there are 3 million titles a year published in the U.S. alone and of them, most are self published. These are staggering figures!
Despite those somewhat dismal statistics, there is still overwhelming value in writing a book.
- Books help business owners gain credibility, giving them more exposure to their businesses.
- Books help the author make and name for themselves and establish themselves as the experts in their field.
We have found many online courses on writing and publishing a book that stop at the most crucial point of book publishing....MARKETING!
Smart marketing includes these key ingredients:
- A Media Room on your website. This is the pulse of your website. You will use this page to showcase your book(s), products and message. You will put links to your media appearances, podcasts, speaking engagement schedule and all the other little tidbits that showcase you and your expertise. (See what else should be in your media room!)
- Set in place a 12 - month book marketing publicity plan. (Remember...no cobwebs here!)
- Subscribe to Haro and Reporter Connection so you can monitor opportunities for publicity.
- Keep a close eye on forums for magazines and newspapers.
- Research industry trade associations. They often look for expertise their members may have with the potential for speaking engagements
- Turn chapters of your book into tip sheets. Then find avenues to use these as press releases.
- Send out newsletters to your followers.
- Create surveys on your topic and submit the results in a press release.
- Conduct attention grabbing contests centered around getting reviews on your book. Submit the results as a press release.
- Locate trade magazines that are looking for good content.
- Set up a virtual book tour for your book. (Read about it here)
The key is that you must elevate yourself from being simply an author to being and EXPERT. This is what will be the stepping stone to building your Prosperity Platform.